Thursday, June 30, 2011

Weighted Memories- Artist Statement


During the artistic process of this assignment, I began to realize that a place moves from topos to chora because of the weight a person gives that place.  That "weight" is the memory or emotion behind a place that makes it memorable in either a good way or a bad way.

As mentioned in one of my other posts, Steilacoom has played a significant role in my life the past two years.  Since I am about to move to Arizona I have been reminiscent of all the wonderful memories I have made here.  This internal dialogue is what I wanted to explore in this project.

I chose to use a APO flat-rate box as the basis of my project because of my husband leaving me in Steilacoom while he was deployed to Iraq for a little over a year.  I got to know the postwoman of Steilacoom a fare amount due to how many packages I sent.  On the address label there is my address of Steilacoom listed as well as my new address in Arizona.  If you were to open the box, the addresses would be separated much like I am being separated from Steilacoom to go to Arizona.

On one side of the box there is Steilacoom depicted in tissue paper and Arizona is on the other side.  I chose decoupage of tissue paper because you have to physically rip the material to create color, texture, and form.  I unwilling have to move to Arizona so I am  consider myself to be ripped from this place I have grown to love.

On the Steilacoom side I place a lock and on the Arizona a door knob.  The lock is a literal interpretation of the memories that will be locked in my mind of Steilacoom.  With the move I can no longer add any memories either--so the city is locked to me.  The door knob on the Arizona side is for the door that is opening in Arizona which may be filled with good memories or possible bad-- Either way it will be filled.

If you were to lift the box you would fill how uneven in weight the box is.  On the Steilacoom side there is roughly 25 pounds of plaster signifying the "weight" I have given to Steilacoom.  If you were to look through the key hole on the Arizona side you would see that side of the box empty, filled with nothing.  I have yet to make memories there and have no idea what to expect so the emptiness conveys the uncertainty and the potential for loneliness.

I am really happy with how the project turned out.  It has been very therapeutic for me to examine my subconcious of the emotions and fear it has for the huge change in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment