Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stage 1 of Final Project


This was my original photo that became my inspiration for my final project.  I was really drawn to the asymmetric design of this weed.  I was also inspired by the little twigs that make up this weed. 

In my mind this weed was the epitome of nature.  It represented the micro creating the macro within an environment.  The whole weed bush was taking over the lawn so each weed then became the micro creating the macro of the bush.  Throughout the quarter I decided that the layers of micro creating macro creating more micro creating larger macro was really interesting to me and this was the conceptual approach I for this project.






This was my sketch of my project idea on tracing paper.  I placed the tracing paper on-top of my photo and used an exaggerated asymmetrical design to abstract the form of the weed.  My original plan was to create this arch that a person could stand under as drawn in the top right hand side of the picture.  Although ambitious, and a far-cry from the final project, I knew above all I wanted to create an asymmetrical design. 

 Asymmetry is something found throughout nature and not necessarily found in man-made objects.  Asymmetrical designs feel very organic to me when created in a subtle, almost unintentional manner.  It requires an evolutionary process to create a flow that is pleasing to the eye.  An inherent concern with asymmetrical designs is that they will appear unbalanced and create an uneasy feeling for the viewer.  This was a pitfall I was conscious not to fall into.





No comments:

Post a Comment